Mood swings, irritability, anger, nervousness and feeling down are all potential psychological complaints patients have after a concussion. These feelings can occur for many reasons but foremost among them is that the pathophysiology of a concussion itself sets the stage for the same. Other possible causes can be related to the change in lifestyle and functional abilities patients experience after a concussion; and due to exacerbation of pre-injury temperament and/or personality tendencies in some people.
Whatever the cause for post-concussive mood problems, they are managed similarly to mood problems in non-concussed patients. Our program is uniquely set up to help you tackle these issues in a natural, holistic way; this is often referred to as behavioural therapy.
- Treating other health consequences of your injury will reduce your symptoms and allow you to get more involved in life.
- Guided relaxation and meditation sessions.
- Occupational therapy support on accommodations and therapeutic activities to make your days easier and more positive.
- Administrative and medical support to help balance your treatment regimen.
- Opinion rendered to GP regarding recommended medical investigations and pharmacotherapy.
Your healthcare team will have unique suggestions in the face of your unique situation.