Our clinic was started to help concussion patients get the necessary specialized care they need. Our program is an aggressive, evidence-based, comprehensive, multidisciplinary and up-to-date management program.
In our program, concussions are managed by an interdisciplinary team: sports medicine, GP, occupational therapy, chiropractic therapy, physiotherapy, audiology and a behavioural optometry. Occasionally, other specialists (i.e., neurology, otolaryngology, orthopaedics, internal medicine) with whom we have easy access are consulted.
Visits with the sports physician are covered by OHIP; OHIP does not yet cover the services of allied healthcare workers or computerized neurocognitive testing, both integral parts of concussion assessment and rehabilitation. Our occupational therapy service is covered currently.
Currently we are providing our services to patients that are 7-years-old and above.
Please read our FAQ section for more information about the program.
Concussion management is as much an art as it is a science. A unique management plan for every patient is paramount to success; there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ remedy. Everyone heals at their own rate but success can be had with a disciplined and methodological approach.
After a general neurological intake history and exam to confirm concussion, and to rule out anything more ominous, our program offers some specialized rehab strategies for:
- Post-traumatic headaches
- Sleep disorders
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- General musculoskeletal injuries
- Medical assessment of the vestibular system
- Functional assessment and rehabilitation of dizziness and/or imbalance
- Medical assessment and treatment of binocular vision abnormalities
- Functional assessment and rehabilitation of visual processing problems
- Medical assessment and interdisciplinary management of factors that may contribute to fatigue
- Psychiatric assessment and management strategies including pharmacological consultation if appropriate
- Neurocognitive assessment
- Cognitive rehabilitation and management strategies +/- pharmacological consultation
- Customized occupational/academic case management including optimization of energy, performance and well-being. This will include customized rest, rehabilitation and work/school re-integration recommendations that will be continually reassessed and readjusted in a multidisciplinary setting
- Customized return-to-sport management plans and exertional testing
As many patients have many of the above issues at the same time, healthcare professionals work together to customize your treatment plan so that the rehabilitation and accommodations are cohesive and consistent. Custom-made rehabilitation plans are accessible to you and all of our rehab staff (both in Thornhill rehab and Aurora rehabilitation) through a digital, on-line platform that is updated in real-time. This helps fine-tune your regimen and efficiently implement it into your daily life..
Our York Region medical clinic has 3 locations: York Region rehab assessment centre, an Aurora rehabilitation centre and a Thornhill rehab location (for vision therapy).
Click on the following link to request a consultation with a post-concussion syndrome specialist at our Aurora rehabilitation centre. No referral is required.